EasyJapanesee proudly offers a “Travellers’ Japanese” course for those who have never learned Japanese before and are interested in learning it before you go to Japan. This course also includes practical travel tips!Other than 9 number characters for reading prices on menus, this course is not aiming to teach any script.This is purely conversational Japanese!
This course is made up of:
- Unit 0: Survival Phrases
- Unit 1: Basic greeting and simple self-introduction
- Unit 2: Counting numbers
- Unit 3: Reading prices written in characters
- Unit 4: How to ask for prices and make an order
- Unit 5: Simple sentences (eat, drink, see, buy and go)
- Unit 6: Stating what you want to do
- Appendix: Useful expressions and printable table of all expressions covered in Units 1 – 6.
All the units are placed in a logical order, so you don’t need to look elsewhere to find relevant information. Having said that, you can skip pages and/or quizzes to go to the next section if you so wish. Also, you can go back to any page to do more exercises. You can do quizzes multiple times and only the highest score will be recorded.
Each unit has:
- Explanation page(s) with lots of videos and audio clips to learn the sounds. All videos and audio clips are recorded by me, a native Japanese speaker with over 2 decades teaching experience in Australia, unlike some other apps which use computer generated voices and/or audio spoken by a non-native Japanese person.
- Quizzes to check if you understood/remembered what you have learned. All quizzes allow multiple attempts.
- Travellers’ Tips covering topics from culturally sensitive material to practical advice for smooth traveling in Japan. Topics include:
- Preparation Do’s and Don’ts
- Money Matters while you are in Japan
- Moving around in Japan – JR pass or not?
- In a shop – Duty-Free Purchases
- In a Restaurant – Common Foods/Drinks & Table Manners
- Mobile Phones and SIM Cards
- Japanese Toilets, Baths and Shoes!
This is a cloud-based course built on the Moodle Cloud platform and you can do the course in a browser or an app on your PC, Mac and/or mobile devices. Unlike an app, you can do part on your PC and you can resume from where you left off on your mobile device and vise-versa.
Covered Expressions include:
- Can I use a credit card?
- Can I use a Visa card?
- Do you speak English?
- May I try it on?
- Where is the fitting room?
- Do you have a larger size?
- Do you have a smaller size?
- Can I have a look at your menu?
- Do you have English menu?
- Non-smoking seat(s), please.
- Smoking seat(s), please.
- Could I have the bill, please.
- Do you have vegetarian dishes?
- Could you take our photo?
- Is Wi-Fi free?
- Another one, please?
- I have an allergy.
- I cannot eat xxx.
- I cannot drink xxx
This course is offered for AUD 49.95 and that will allow you to access the contents for 26 weeks from the time your payment is processed.
“How to Get Started with Moodle” is found here.